Monday, April 23, 2007

If I had the option of putting a title on my blog posts, the title to this post would be as follows. "5 steps forward and 7 steps back". Let me tell you a story. So quite often I have been giving updates on how my basement suite is coming along and how excited I am that I'm living down there and that soon I'll have it fully functional with the kitchen and all. And truely, it has been exciting and it has been coming along. This morning soon after 6:00, my sleep was disturbed by what I thought at first was my mom doing laundry. Why would she be doing laundry at this time??? Nope, that sounds louder than the rush of water filling the washing machine. That kinda sounds like a lot of water spraying somewhere... So I swing my legs out of my comfy covers and "SPLOOSH" onto the floor with my feet. "NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I burst through the door and (blindly - no glasses on yet of course) looked for the turn off valve for the water system, couldn't find it fast enough, so I looked for the direct source, the water line under the bathroom sink, and turn off those valves. I then sploosh through the water to the stairs and up to mom and dad's room. "Dad. There's a water explosion in the basement" We discovered that the compression fitting on the tap had blown, the floor drain was not functioning as a drain, and the sump pump was not pumping. We got them both working and dad, mom and I spent the next hour till I had to go to work directing the water towards the sump hole and the drain. Mom and dad spent pretty much the rest of the day dealing with the basement. I now have a bedroom completely stripped of belongings, baseboards, and laminate flooring. And the drywall around the outside of the suite is cut up a few inches. WHAT A MESS! And what a backtrack of all the work that's been done!!! The flooring will likely have to be thrown out and there's water damage to my vanity and SO much more work to be re-done. And I am now taking up residence in the spare bedroom again. BUT our insurance company provided about 500 fans and dehumidifiers to get it all cleaned up as fast as possible, so that's really great. And my parents are TROOPERS who spend all day moving things out and drying things out (even my whol boxful of old tapes were laid out on a table in the backyard this afternoon airing out!) I am more thankful for my parents than I can try to put into words. And it really isn't the end of the world, although it felt like it when I gooshed my feet onto the floor this morning. I just don't really understand why this had to happen. Its so frustrating to spend so much time, effort, and money on this suite and have it come pretty close to the end of the work, and then have to re-do stuff, and fix stuff, and deal with all this. I'm sure God will teach me something through it all, He already has. But still, is it necessary??? Sigh, He knows best.
In other news, I've joined Facebook. You should too! (that's what everyone told me, and I eventually gave in) Careful, it's addicting. But SO GREAT to connect with people I havn't heard from in forever!

1 Comments:

At 6:49 AM, Blogger Tricia said...

OH Lori, that sucks so bad!!! I'm so sorry that had to happen. I'm cringing thinking about it... Best of luck getting it all cleaned up.

Facebook is retarded. I swear everyone I have ever met in my life is on the thing. It has to go downhill soon; it cannot maintain it's popularity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home