Sunday, December 17, 2006

Although I've known this fact before, it became very real to me yesterday while driving. When there are no trees and no hills to act as a buffer, a thousand mile per hour wind that blows accross the road while it's snowing makes for crazy driving... Yes, I was in Saskatewan. And yes, it was snowy, and yes is was WINDY. Thankfully though, the roads weren't icy. So it was bad visibility and bad gas mileage cause it pushed me back quite a bit, but it didnt' push me off the road. I praise God for getting me home safely and I'm also glad Alberta's got hills and trees and not usually as much wind.
I had a great time in Saskatewan though. Short but good. Jean and I went to Moose Jaw to do some shopping and stuff on Thursday and that was great, but tiring, like shopping always is for me. (and for a pregnant Jean :) Friday we spent most of the day doing Christmas baking, which was also very fun. Jean and I know how to work around each other in the kitchen, and she was glad to have a Mennonite around to help bake - I do have a reputation to uphold!! Jean also spent a bunch of time on the phone while I was there. Yeah, I felt like an important guest... No, it was ok. A couple of the conversations she had were with people I know well too, so they were on speaker phone and I had good conversations too. It was just funny that she spent so much time on the phone. And we also went out to the farm where they're building thier house and where they've got quarter upon quarter upon quarter of wide open fields. Something sad about being in Sask is all the run down or non-existant houses. Wherever there's a clump of trees, there used to be a farmyard with a family. Now there's a ton of those clumps of trees with nothing in it, or just a few outbuildings or a house that's fallen apart. Farming is so essential for all of us to survive, and yet people are loosing thier farms and moving to the cities all the time. It seems like such a waste to me. Yeah, so I don't really blame them for not wanting to live in the middle of nowhere, but it's sad to see all those buildings and stuff just left to waste.
Jean's starting to look pregnant. She's at the awkward 4 month stage of just looking "fat" but it's all because of baby. I don't envy that stage, but at least she's healthy and hasn't been feeling bad or anything.
I got some pictures developed in Moose Jaw, so I'll scan some, and post them. The old style camera thing is still good, but it just means that the pictures I'm able to post are old already, since I have to develop them before I can use them. Someday!

2 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Sorrey!!!

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

I miss snow... but I'm freezing in Hong Kong in 12'C weather... So not sure how I'll readjust to winder in Winnipeg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home